Recycle your contact lenses, blister packs and foil covers through this programme
As a Consumer looking to recycle your contact lens waste – you have 3 options:
1. Drop your waste off at a public drop-off location, including over 650 Boots Opticians Stores and a network of Independent Opticians throughout the UK. To find your nearest public drop-off location, click here.
2. Download a free shipping label from the ACUVUE® website. Affix the label to any card box containing your waste and arrange a UPS collection. Please note you will be unable to earn TerraCycle® points through this approach.
3. Log in to the TerraCycle® website and join The ACUVUE® Contact Lens Recycle Programme page as a private collector to send us your waste and earn TerraCycle® points. Please note there are limited places, however you will always be able to recycle using option 2 above.
As an Independent Opticians practice looking to get involved in the programme:
1. Create an account on the TerraCycle® website by clicking here.
2. Click ‘Join programme for free’ on The ACUVUE® Contact Lens Recycle Programme page.
3. At this stage you will be registered for the programme, however to receive your free recycling bin and promo pack, you will need to register to become a ‘public location’ by completing this form.
Please note it can take up to 3 weeks for your bin and promotional materials to arrive.
Once you have joined The ACUVUE® Contact Lens Recycle Programme, you can print a shipping label by logging into your TerraCycle® account and by clicking on "my account". Then simply click on the "send us your waste" button and then on "create free postage label". You will receive your label by email, you must then print it and stick it on your parcel. You can download as many labels as you have parcels to send.
You can use any cardboard boxes for sending your waste, however these boxes must be clean and sturdy. Once you have your box, put your waste directly in it (and possibly in a plastic bag beforehand), close it well and stick the prepaid shipping label on the box (the shipment is of course completely free).
Once you have downloaded and printed your shipping label, please send us your waste by ordering a free pick-up via UPS by calling 03457 877 877 (UPS will collect at your location). You can also drop-off your parcel at your closest UPS drop-off point, which you can find here.
If you have not received your points within two months after your shipment was sent, please contact us so that we can investigate it for you.
Once collected, the aggregated contact lenses, blister packaging and outer foils are sorted, shredded and washed. The material is then densified into hard-granulated plastic granules. The granules are then extruded so they can be incorporated into the production of different plastic products such as benches.
Click here to learn more about the recycling process.
Shipments can be any size to earn points. 2 points per unit (a pair of contact lenses and the blister packaing) will be awarded. 2 TerraCycle® points are worth £0.02.
To redeem your points as financial donations, a minimum of 1,000 points or £10 is required.
All points redeemed between the 1st of May and the 31st of October will be donated in December. Points redeemed between the 1st of November and the 30th of April will be donated in June.
To redeem your points for the charity or school of your choice, simply log in to your TerraCycle® account and go to the "my charities" tab. Once on this page, TerraCycle® offers 3 ways to choose a charity:
If you have chosen to donate to a charity (either by selecting an existing charity or by adding a new one), you must choose the number of points you wish to redeem (as a reminder, you must convert a minimum of 1,000 points).
Check the contents of your cart and click on "checkout" to close the transaction.
You must send at least one shipment a year. If you do not send a shipment within a year, you will be removed from the programme to allow other people to participate. Consequently, you will have to apply to join the programme again. If you are removed from the programme, you will receive an email notifying you and you will have one week to join this programme again by clicking on "join programme for free" on the programme page.
If you wish to stop collecting this waste, log in to your account, select the "my recycling programmes" tab and click on the small grey cross to the right of the name of The ACUVUE® Contact Lens Recycle Programme.