Recycle your contact lenses, blister packs and foil covers through this programme
TerraCycle® is partnering with ACUVUE® to offer a free, accessible contact lens recycle programme for any soft contact lens user in the UK. The programme accepts disposable lenses, blister packs and blister foils.
The programme offers contact lens wearers the option to recycle from their home, or via a network of partner opticians practices across the UK.
As a Consumer looking to recycle your contact lens waste – you have 3 options:
1. Drop your waste off at a public drop-off location, including over 650 Boots Opticians Stores and a network of Independent Opticians throughout the UK. To find your nearest public drop-off location, click here.
2. Download a free shipping label from the ACUVUE® website. Affix the label to any card box containing your waste and arrange a UPS collection. Please note you will be unable to earn TerraCycle® points through this approach.
3. Log in to the TerraCycle® website and join The ACUVUE® Contact Lens Recycle Programme page as a private collector to send us your waste and earn TerraCycle® points. Please note there are limited places, however you will always be able to recycle using option 2 above.
As an Independent Opticians practice looking to get involved in the programme:
1. Create an account on the TerraCycle® website by clicking here.
2. Click ‘Join programme for free’ on The ACUVUE® Contact Lens Recycle Programme page.
3. At this stage you will be registered for the programme, however to receive your free recycling bin and promo pack, you will need to register to become a ‘public location’ by completing this form.
Please note it can take up to 3 weeks for your bin and promotional materials to arrive.
Once collected, the aggregated contact lenses, blister packaging and outer foils are sorted, shredded and washed. The material is then densified into hard-granulated plastic granules. The granules are then extruded so they can be incorporated into the production of different plastic products such as benches.
Click here to learn more about the recycling process.
TerraCycle® points can be redeemed for a variety of charitable gifts or a payment to the non-profit organisation of your choice. For more information about our points programme, click here.
1 TerraCycle® point is worth £0.01.
ACUVUE® is partnering with TerraCycle® to offer a national solution for recycling contact lenses, blister packs and foil covers. At Johnson & Johnson Vision, manufacturers of ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses, we know it’s important to create environmentally sustainable products.
Our approach to developing more sustainable products looks at the full life-cycle: from formulation and manufacturing to use and end of life. Our goal is to substantially limit our contribution to landfills through solutions to drive single-use plastic recycling and packaging material optimisation.
Learn more about ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses here.