Start Date: 8th April
End Date: 7th October
Prize: A Share of 100,000 TerraCycle Points and 2 McVitie's Hampers
How to Win: All participants who send in a shipment to the qualifying brigade will be entered into the contest for a chance to win TerraCycle points and one of 2 McVitie's Hampers
TerraCycle® and McVitie’s® are working together to give a second life to biscuit wrappers. As an eco-friendly innovator, TerraCycle converts biscuit wrappers into innovative products from plastic lumber and pavers to tote bags and pencil cases!
The McVitie’s® Biscuit Wrapper Brigade® allows schools, organisations, or individuals to save biscuit wrappers from ending up in UK landfills. For any shipment of more than 50 units (0.16kg), your collection location will be awarded two TerraCycle points for each unit sent in (one unit = 3,2 grammes). These points can be redeemed for a variety of charitable gifts or for a payment of £0.01 per point to the non-profit organisation or school of your choice. Please click here to learn more about the TerraCycle Points Programme!
Participating in a TerraCycle Brigade is totally free! There are no signup or participation fees, and the shipping is covered by the programme. Once you have joined the McVitie’s® Biscuit Wrapper Brigade®, simply follow the steps below to receive your TerraCycle points:
- Collect enough approved biscuit wrapper packaging in a box or envelope. Please note, you need to send shipments that weigh at least 0.16 kg (approximately 50 units of biscuit wrappers without the weight of the box) in order to receive the points donation. You can send in less than 0.16 kg but you won't receive any TerraCycle points for the shipment. Click here to find out how totals are calculated.
- Download a pre-paid shipping label from terracycle.co.uk. To acquire a pre-paid label, simply access your TerraCycle account online, and click “CREATE FREE POSTAGE LABEL”.
- Post the box or envelope to TerraCycle by affixing the pre-paid postage label and dropping it off at a post office.
To help boost your collections in your community or place of work, why not download our Shipping Poster which shows how to collect and ship your biscuit wrappers.
As well as this, you could download our Thermometer Poster which will show people in your community how many Biscuit Wrappers you have collected, and which Charity or non-profit organisation you are collecting for.
For more detailed information please check out the McVitie’s® Biscuit Wrapper Brigade® FAQ.
Check out the image below to see some examples of the types of waste that are accepted through this Brigade program. You can also download this as a poster.
McVitie's Biscuit Wrapper Brigade accepted waste:
- Any brand of non-savoury biscuit wrapper
- Any brand of multi-pack non-savoury biscuit wrapper, including individual wrappers
For further information, and to see what happens with your Biscuit Wrappers after they have been sent to us, please watch this short video